March 12, 2010

New York, World Trade Twin Towers and my beautiful green leather coat

New York is only ten hours away from Quebec City. In April 2001, the year of September 11 attack, we went there for five days. The weather was uncertain at that time, and I took the precaution of taking my leather coat. Nothing exciting you will say… but to me YES; it was green, a nice green similar to the green leaves in the trees of Central Park. I adored my coat.

Walking and walking in New York, head up in the air enough to catch a stiff neck and there we were in front of the Twin Towers: my husband Brian offered to take my picture: Click! A picture of my green coat immortalized between the two towers. I keep this picture preciously.

Walking and walking in New York… time passes by quickly. After visiting Radio City Music Hall, the Guggenheim Museum and the Frick Museum, it was dinner time. Brian and I ended up at the restaurant L’Ecole, the lab of the great American chefs of the French Culinary Kitchen School. A nice table was waiting for us in an alcove near the window. I climb the small step that allowed me to reach my chair. The food was divine. Once dinner was over, Brian leaves his chair to shake the hand of the chef who was sitting close to us with a group of students and their nice toques. I put on my coat and followed him… forgetting the small step. It was thus completely spread out on the floor that I congratulated the chef. Ouch! Thanks and goodbye. The lady in the green coat quickly stepped out of the restaurant.

Walking and walking in New York, trying to get rid of the humiliation I felt in the restaurant. Brian, seeing how upset I was, suggested we do a little “shopping”, as French ladies would say.

Walking and walking in New York, here we are in front of the shrine of “shopping” in the United States: Saks Fifth Avenue. My good spirit comes back. Brian, my green leather coat and I enter the store. It’s nice, super chic… thank God I have my beautiful green coat. Once the main floor is explored, we attack the second floor. The escalator is waiting for us. All of a sudden, just before reaching the second floor, I feel pulled from behind: the bottom of my coat is trapped in the teeth of the escalator. “Brian, Brian, help me please!” The escalator eats up the bottom of my coat. Brian pulls out my beautiful green coat before I get trapped myself. My coat is completely ruined.

Walking and walking in New York, to conclude this day high in emotions, we ended up sitting at the magnificent restaurant TAVERN OF THE GREEN in Central Park, which unfortunately closed its doors in December 2009. The day after, the weather was splendid. At BALTHAZAR’s, a French tavern in Soho, while eating oysters I finally forgot about my green leather coat.

Balthazar, located at 80 Spring Street, Soho, New York
L’Ecole (French Culinary Institute) 462 Broadway, New York
Tavern of the Green Central Park (now closed)
Dean and De Lucca, 560 Broadway, fine grocery. To be seen: Meryl Streep in the wonderful film The hours shopping there for groceries.
Café des Artistes, One West 67th Street, 212-877-3500

3 comments:

  1. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. j'ai pris le temps de bien lire c'est tres interessant et bien ecrit

    je te donnerai d'autres commentaires au besoin

    a la prochaine Yvonne

    ReplyDelete