March 24, 2010

Scary Stories in British-Columbia

Come rain or come shine, we take a daily walk of at least an hour. Our trails and scenery are constantly changing. Sometimes we live dangerously. I am afraid of animals with the exception of my dog TouFou. I hope that the three following adventures make you smile.

The Labrador of Telegraph Cove, Vancouver Island.
Port Hardy, at the north end of the Island, on a beautiful Saturday morning, I discovered a wonderful place for our walk. Using a map Brian finds out how to get there. A few minutes later, after parking the car, we are on a nice wooden sidewalk alongside Telegraph Cove. The weather is fantastic. Brian puts TouFou on a leash, I walk ahead, and they are following me.

A few minutes later, I spot a Black Labrador, as big as a bear - I am hardly exaggerating. He is rushing towards us …. I scream … Brian takes TouFou in his arms. I keep screaming. The Labrador jumps up on me. I jump up on the railing of the footbridge … ouch! (I’ll have a bruise on my thigh, for sure). Brian tells me to stop screaming.

TouFou wants to eat the Labrador. Brian wants to eat TouFou who continues to bark. I want to eat Brian, who wants to eat TouFou and the Labrador still wants to gobble me up. The Labrador finally decides to leave. That was the end of our walk around Telegraph Cove. Needless to say we cherished the silence on our way back!!!

The mutt on the dock of Iona Beach Regional Park, Richmond, B.C.
Saturday morning. The narrow pier juts two and a half mile into Georgia Strait. With TouFou we reach the last part of the pier; we are surrounded by water; the panorama is breathtaking; the only sound - the waves.

On our way back, I see a large dog coming the other way – I think he’s probably on a leash - TouFou smells him and starts to bark. Brian takes TouFou in his arms and in the time it took to raise our heads, we see the mad the big mutt comng towards us … without a leash. I want to climb but there is no fence. I cannot escape except if I jump in the water. So I jump on Brian who almost falls in the water with our dog. The owner of the big mutt joins us on the dock to calm down his ferocious huge hound but it’s too late, he spoiled our walk.

The black bear of Port McNeil, on the north end of Vancouver Island
Our motorhome is parked at the edge of the forest. Next to it, there is a closed down runway; that will be a nice place for our end of the afternoon walk. Brian puts TouFou on a leash and we’re on our way. About thirty minutes later we come across a runner who recommends we be careful; he saw a bear a few yards back. Guess what!

Between Campbell River and Port McNeil, a few miles away from Highway 19, at the beginning of the Village of Sayward Junction, there is a weird restaurant: The Cable Café. It was built with steel cables restored from former log transportation systems. The place is different, we had breakfast there and we ate delicious greasy small potatoes. At Campbell River, Ripple Rock RV Park is a very nice place to spend a few days. 1-250-287-7108

No comments:

Post a Comment